Monday, December 8, 2008

take these broken wings and learn to fly...



Dateline 12/6/8. Georgetown, Col-OH-RAH-RAH-Do

“I’m sure I can see too much pollution… I would like to see a brown shady tree so I can rest my head, my head underneath… oh gosh…”

sorry listening to a little too much Burning Spear and other music…

Man, is life magnificent or what! Lisa and I just finished an absolutely fantastic day of travel! So many seek without seeing the beauty that surrounds each and every one of us on a constant basis. We are a part of everything. Open up your eyes. Look around. So, Friday we pulled away from the loving cocoon of my mother’s embrace. I never realized how much I am my mother’s son. In this case, the apple fell directly straight beneath the freaking apple tree. I finally feel as though I found some higher enlightenment about my family and family relations in general. My mother’s short term memory is not as good as it used to be in her 78th year. But with amazing clarity she can teach Lisa how to knit which she hasn’t done since she was a little girl in wartime France. That was an amazing revelation! I really saw my mother with new eyes. I gained another plateau and understood humanity just one inch better.

We climbed in Kaya and pointed WEST towards our future. We had three car loads of folks pull alongside and take pictures. We crossed the Mississippi River at exactly 4:20. Strange how that number comes up often. We saw absolutely zero VDUBS in Illinois and Iowa. We kept pushing with the goal of sleeping somewhere past Lincoln, Nebraska. Ended the night in transit at a rest area on the western side of Lincoln.

We ate a wonderful Winter Vegetable and Cabbage Soup with a 2004 Esterlina Pinot Noir. The following morning we washed up in the rest areas bathroom and headed towards COL-OH-RAH-RAH-DOE! The day was largely uneventful except we finally saw our first VDUB Vanagon since the East Coast parked in a farmer’s field. We got a few sneers and puzzled looks from our highly camouflaged bus from hunter’s and various other folks we passed or got passed by.


We stopped in the early evening in Keeneville, Colorado at a gas station and saw a sign for Espressos and antiques… intrigued we followed the gas station attendants directions passed a bonfire and a small country band playing in the snow and ice to the fabled java lands. Spoke with two cops for a while about dogs (i.e. Lucy and their snarling German shepherds) and escaped back into hippie life and vdubs and headed to Georgetown, Colorado where we are holed up for the night downing a bottle of Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve 2003 Pinot Noir fortified with Rib Eye steaks, carrots and potatoes… Saw absolutely no buses, had no pictures taken but had numerous smiles, peace signs flashed and waves. Glad to be here! Tomorrow we pass through some of our favorite spots ever!One sad note… we did not get to meet Todd from the Samba… he had to work late and we had to push onward… someday… someday… mister sandman has filled my eyes… peace and love from the road to uncertainty and bliss. Aswah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice entry. Love the stuff about your Mom. Should have asked me, I knew you were your mother's son many years ago. Easier to see from an outside perspective I guess. Strange how the passing of the years robs us of our near term memories while leaving the older ones clear as day.

Peace...

-Jim